Read reviews of all the supplements I've tried over the years here: www.iherb.com/mypage/lotuspocus

Saturday 20 August 2011

Afraid of the runs while you're on antibiotics? This might help

I've always had gastric issues. A few visits to a gastroenterologist confirmed that I had psychosomatic-related gastric problems, ie, I was too 'wired'. And having a hypochondriac streak didn't help. 


During a gastroscopy (where the doctor passes a tube with a small camera down your throat to view your stomach), he discovered that I had H. pylori, a potentially harmful but common bacteria (it's said that half the population carries it). 


While usually benign, H. pylori is known to cause gastric cancer in a small percentage of people. And so the doctor recommended that I undergo 'Triple Therapy', a 2-week course of proton pump inhibitors (Omeprazole) coupled with two antibiotics (clarithromycin and amoxicillin). 


Knowing how my gut usually react to antibiotics, I did some research over the Internet. There were a few positive but inconclusive studies about probiotics - friendly bacteria (Lactobacillus) and friendly yeast (Saccharomyces boulardii - found naturally on lychee skin) having a beneficial effect. With nothing to lose, I ordered some online and took the probiotics a few hours apart from medication. 


Either the natural flora in my gut has strengthened through years of regular probiotics (I take Culturelle every now and then), or the combo of Lactobacillus and S. boulardii hit the nail. I didn't have diarrhea at all! 


Anyway, another gastroscope confirmed that the H. pylori has been eliminated from my tummy. Which goes to show that the probiotics didn't interfere with the antibiotics. 


If it worked for me, it just might work for you. But do seek medical advice before you take my word for it. 


I'm a human guinea pig. 


;)

No comments:

Post a Comment